Brent, a partner of the Firm, is a legal advisor and an advocate who acts primarily for employers (public and private sector) in regard to all areas of workplace law. His extensive experience includes providing representation in relation to collective bargaining, grievance arbitrations, employment law, wrongful dismissal, human rights, disability management, employment contracts and occupational health and safety. Brent regularly appears before the courts, tribunals (Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, Ontario Labour Relations Board, Canada Labour Board etc.) and arbitrators.
Brent also has extensive experience acting for public educators in the areas of employment and labour relations as well as special education and safe schools. His activities include dealing with human rights matters related to special education and appearing before the Child and Family Services Review Board in regard to student expulsion appeals.
As a competent litigator who provides effective and impassioned representation for his clients at hearings and in the courts, Brent also understands the importance of avoiding unnecessary and costly conflict. He is an effective problem-solver who strategizes intelligently and who uses clear, persuasive and respectful communication, both written and oral, to assist his clients, to achieve their goals without resorting to litigation. Brent is a good listener and trusted confidante, and is adept at identifying options that truly are responsive to his clients’ needs.
While tending to his busy legal practice, Brent finds the time to be active in the community. His actives over the years in this regard include the following:
- Hamilton Community Foundation (Chair, June 2015 ---; Member of Governance and Finance Cttees)
- Art Gallery of Hamilton (Former Chair, Board of Directors; Former Chair, Council of Governors)
- YMCA Canada (Director; Former Chair of Nominating Cttee)
- YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford (Former Chair, Board of Directors; Member, Council of Governors)
- Hamilton Program For Schizophrenia (Former Chair, Board of Directors)
Admissions & Affiliations
- Called To The Bar 1985
- Hamilton Law Association
- B.A. (Honours) – McMaster University – Political Science & French
- LL.B. – University of Toronto Faculty of Law