The lawyers in our Education Law Department have more than 25 years of experience acting for educational institutions - primarily public boards of education.
We provide advice and representation in regard to a broad range of matters, including:
- interpretation of the Education Act and its regulations;
- interpretation and application of Ministry of Education policy;
- special education requirements;
- safe schools, student suspensions/expulsions and appeals;
- issues under the Human Rights Code in regard to accommodations relating to special education and religion;
- school board interactions with parents, guardians and Children’s Aid Societies in relation to child protection and Charter of Rights issues;
- assisting school staff effectively deal with family law disputes between parents of students;
- school board interactions with local police services;
- development and updating of school board policies and procedures; and
- employment and labour relations issues.
Through our extensive experience in this area, we are aware of, and responsive to, the particular challenges school boards face in today’s very complex education environments and we are adept at providing practical and responsive advice. In doing so, we recognize the need to effectively balance the competing rights and interest of the various parties that may be involved in any given situation. As well, we strive to provide advice that is understandable and of practical use to school board employees at all levels.
Our Education Law Group: