AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Brent, a partner at SIMPSONWIGLE LAW, is a legal advisor and an advocate who acts primarily for small to medium sized employers (public and private sector) and unionized employers in regard to all areas of workplace law.
His extensive experience includes providing representation in relation to employment contracts, collective bargaining, grievance arbitrations, wrongful dismissal, human rights, disability management, and occupational health and safety.
Brent regularly appears before the courts, tribunals (Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, Ontario Labour Relations Board, Canada Labour Board etc.) and arbitrators.
Brent also has extensive experience in education law, acting for Boards of Education in the areas of employment and labour relations as well as special education and safe schools. His activities include dealing with human rights matters related to special education and appearing before the Child and Family Services Review Board in regard to student expulsion appeals.
A RESPONSIVE AND COLLABORATIVE APPROACH TO WORKING WITH CLIENTS
“I want to be responsive to all clients and work with them collaboratively. I give my clients a range of options and explain the pros and cons of each, so they can understand what’s happening and make informed decisions at every step. I strive to respect my clients’ needs and help them achieve their goals in an efficient and cost-effective manner.”
WHAT SETS BRENT APART
“I provide practical and problem-solving advice for my clients. Whether the matter goes to court or a hearing, or simply stays as a series of phone calls, I want my clients to know that I understand their needs and will do what I can to obtain a positive and practical outcome.”
THE BEST PART OF THE JOB
“A favourite aspect for me is working closely with clients in a relationship of trust and confidence over the lifecycle of their businesses, helping them as their needs and goals evolve and change over time.”
ACTIVE WITHIN THE COMMUNITY
While tending to his busy legal practice, Brent finds the time to be active in the community. His actives over the years in this regard include the following:
- Hamilton Community Foundation (Chair, June 2015 ---; Member of Governance and Finance Cttees)
- Art Gallery of Hamilton (Former Chair, Board of Directors; Former Chair, Council of Governors)
- YMCA Canada (Director; Former Chair of Nominating Cttee)
- YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford (Former Chair, Board of Directors; Member, Council of Governors)
- Hamilton Program For Schizophrenia (Former Chair, Board of Directors)
- Called To The Bar in Ontario, 1985
- B.A. (Honours) – McMaster University – Political Science & French
- LL.B. – University of Toronto Faculty of Law
- Law Society of Ontario
- Hamilton Law Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Hamilton Lawyers Club