John specializes in employment, labour and workplace law. His practice ranges from litigation in many different forums to consultations regarding and preparation of contracts for all levels of employees and related workplace policies. Employer clients of the firm retain John to advise them with respect to progressive discipline issues, fiduciary obligations, restrictive covenants and terminations.
He represents employers in connection with the defence of wrongful dismissal actions in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, complaints made to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, disputes before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, prosecutions in the Ontario Court of Justice under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, grievance arbitrations under collective agreements, hearings under the Employment Standards Act, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act and the federal Canada Labour Code and collective agreement negotiations.
John has participated as counsel in numerous mediations of workplace disputes and he has represented professionals before the Complaints and Discipline Committees of their governing bodies, such as the Ontario College of Pharmacists, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario. Also, John has conducted judicial review applications in the Ontario Divisional Court.
- Called to the Ontario Bar in 1982, member Law Society of Upper Canada
- Honours B.A. (History) - Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
- LL.B. - King's College School of Law, University of London, England
- LL.B. - Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association (Civil Litigation, Labour and Employment and Workers Compensation Sections)
- Canadian Bar Association, National Labour and Employment Law Section The Advocates' Society
- Canadian Condominium Institute
- Hamilton Law Association, Employment & Labour Section
- Human Resources Professional Association of Ontario, Hamilton Chapter